Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Please, please, please...

not again... is what I usually think as I pull out the favorite bedtime books for my daughter. Longing for something new in the rotation, I pulled this book, that I had originally bought for my classroom because of its repetitive text, off the shelf because of her new found fascination with dogs. Lily went wild at the beautiful depictions of little faces and a rambunctious 'dod' (as she says with renewed vigor every time I turn the page).

ppp

ppp2

Kadir Nelson, the genius behind these pictures, is, quite possibly, the greatest illustrator ever. Check out his work in: one of my top 5 favorite stories, Salt in His Shoes (about a young Michael Jordan... told by his mom and sister) and He's Got the Whole World in His Hands (which puts Kadir's amazing work behind the classic tune.) I picture his illustrations in my head for all of the stories that I write... which is why my own never measure up!

ss he;s

Now, I am usually not a fan of celebrities who think they can also be children's book authors, but Spike Lee and Tonya Lewis Lee put rhythm to simple words and tell a hilarious story in Please Puppy Please and Please Baby Please, with words like"Go back to bed, baby, please, baby, please" ..."Not on your HEAD, baby baby baby, please!" ... we can relate, too.

These books will be favorites for the baby bedtime routine now and for MANY childhood years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment