Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A two's tutu tutorial.

I just finished making several tutus for my daughter's second birthday party and thought I'd share a "how to make a tutu" here. ahem. a no-sew tutu. :)

To make a child size tutu, you'll need two spools of tulle found at your local craft store or walmart. You can buy the tulle by the yard as well, but if you buy it in spools you only have to cut the length, and I found it saved lots of time. Also, purchase a pack of 3/8" elastic and cut enough to fit around your child's waist and tie a bow.

IMG_8244

Figure out the length you want the tutu and double that length. I wanted my daughters to fall 15 inches from her waist, so I cut my tulle at 30 inches.

IMG_8245

Cut. Cut. Cut. until you've finished both spools.

Tie your elastic around something to make it easier to attach your tulle strips. I found a picture frame works great! Then, you'll start knotting your tulle. Loop your tulle so that it's even on both sides.

IMG_8247

Then pull the bottom two strips over the elastic and through the loop.

IMG_8248

Then just pull it tight. When you start to pull the tulle, the elastic has a tendency to twist and roll, to keep this from happening, I found placing my index finger over the elastic and the tulle while I pulled really helped.

IMG_8250 IMG_8251

Continue doing this with each tulle strip, making sure that you bunch them closely together. When you're finished you can tie the elastic in a bow around your child's waist. This allows it to be completely adjustable.

The finished product - personal opinion - the poofier, the better!!

DSC_0329

No comments:

Post a Comment